[Ads-l] Joke: "How Many People Work Here?" "About Half of Them"

Thu Aug 27 23:18:43 UTC 2020

Update: The earliest newspaper (dated October 19, 1907) containing the
joke pointed to the English language magazine "Transatlantic Tales"
(and "Fliegende Blätter"). Now I've found the desired issue of
"Transatlantic Tales". Interestingly, the joke appeared in the
November 1907 issue. This happens because magazine issues are often
available before their cover dates.

Still looking for a German instance of the quip.

[ref] 1907 November, Transatlantic Tales, Volume 37, Number 1,
Misunderstood (Filler item), Quote Page 97, Ess Ess Publishing
Company, New York. (Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=L-U5AQAAMAAJ&q=two-thirds#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
MISUNDERSTOOD
"How many people work in your office?"
"Work? Perhaps two-thirds of them."
--Translated for Transatlantic Tales from "Fliegende Blätter."
[End excerpt]

Garson