[Ads-l] Gomer Cool (1908-2012)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 4 22:06:52 UTC 2020

A few web sites concur with deriving the acronym from that 1978 "Samuel Shem" novel, but JL’s entry in HDAS includes earlier cites (including one from a 1972 National Lampoon) in reference to ‘a patient, esp. if elderly, who is dirty, undesirable, or unresponsive to treatment, esp. a poor or homeless man who habitually seeks emergency-room treatment for minor or imaginary complaints’, which suggests that GOMER < ‘Get Out of My Emergency Room’ is a backronym.

LH