[Ads-l] "Towed truck"

Tue Dec 8 20:31:17 UTC 2020

Here is an instance of "undertoads" (undertows) in 1924.

Date: July 6, 1924
Newspaper: Illustrated Daily News
Newspaper Location: Los Angeles, California
Article: Kiddykute Sayings
Author: Mrs. Lester Rands
Quote Page 19, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt – check for OCR errors]
Fearing that they might go out too far, I warned them to be careful,
and told them how undertows sometimes carried people out to sea.

They donned their suits and we set forth. When the younger girl caught
sight of the ocean she said, in a confidential tone, to her small
sister "Now I just tell you, I am not going out very far in all that
water. Those undertoads are not going to have a chance to get me!"
[End excerpt]

Garson