[Ads-l] Request help with "The Fortnightly" and quotation "If fifty million people say a foolish thing it is still a foolish thing"

Thu Dec 17 15:00:01 UTC 2020

I have a book around here somewhere that says that the expression was used
by Florenz Zeigfeld to promote to Americans Anna Held, a European beauty
who had performed in Paris.  If so, that takes the expression back to the
mid 1890s.  The book would have been written during Zeigfeld's lifetime,
 (d. 1932), or not long after.
Later, I will see what the newspaper databases have to say.

This is an expression I think of often -- believing as I do, that 50
million Frenchmen can't be wrong, unless they hold an opinion that differs
from mine, in which case, there can be only one explanation.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851