[Ads-l] Twitch restricts use of terms: simp, incel, virgin

Fri Dec 18 20:05:22 UTC 2020

Article title: Twitch bans 'simp'
Article subtitle: Good luck to moderators
Article author: Jacob Kastrenakes
Timestamp: Dec 16, 2020, 4:28pm EST

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/16/22179256/twitch-bans-simp-virgin-incel-new-sexual-harassment-policy

[Begin excerpt]
Twitch will no longer allow streamers and commenters to go around
calling one another “simps.” The term — a recent favorite in the
Twitch community that nominally refers to men who seem desperate for a
woman’s attention — will be banned when used as an insult under
Twitch’s upcoming revamp of its harassment policy. “Incel” and
“virgin” will be banned as insults, too, Twitch COO Sara Clemens said
during a live-streamed town hall this afternoon.
. . .
“We will take action against the use of terms like ‘simp,’ ‘incel’ or
‘virgin’ specifically when they are being used to negatively refer to
another person’s sexual practices. Using these terms on their own
wouldn’t lead to an enforcement but we would take action if they were
used repeatedly in a harassing manner,” a Twitch spokesperson told The
Verge.
[End excerpt]