[Ads-l] Antedating of "White House"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 23 06:46:25 UTC 2020

Aurora General Advertiser (Philadelphia), April 21, 1802, page 2.

In a purported conversation between the President and a tourist from Frederick, Maryland, who doesn't realize to whom he's speaking.  "White house" used three or four times, arguably merely descriptive, but they were already referring to it as that.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/65860046/aurora-general-advertiser/
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2020 5:02:04 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Antedating of "White House"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>

White House (OED 1811)

1807 Aaron Burr in _Public Advertiser_ (N.Y.) 27 Jan. (Genealogy Bank)  I w=
ill turn Jefferson out of that white house and hang him; and congress I wil=
l _pack off_.

Note:  This is quoting earlier usage in _The Aurora_.

Fred Shapiro