[Ads-l] washi tape (2010)

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 1 23:33:31 UTC 2020

Thank you for the correction. I had not intended to mean that the OED should drop the Japanese part, just the “making various things” part.

Here is an earlier citation for “washi tape”:

1. 27 Feb 2010
http://scarletwords.com/2010/02/27/washi-tape/ <http://scarletwords.com/2010/02/27/washi-tape/>
by Elizabeth

###
I’m feeling incredibly inspired after signing up for Polkadot Robot’s Quiet Nights Art Journal class, and it hasn’t even started yet! I’ve organised all of my scrapbooking supplies (which are plentiful, despite not being a scrapbooker) and scoured the web for pretty images like the one above that will get the creative juices flowing. It’s been fun.

Other members of the class have begun to discuss their tools-of-the-trade, and after hearing so much praise about washi tape I decided to find out what all the buzz was about. A Melbourne-based online store called Notemaker had lots of different tapes in stock, so I placed an order a few days ago.
####
####

(See final citation for the Polkadot Robot’s Quiet Nights Art Journal class.)

Here are some 2011 videos that show that washi is not (generally?) involved:

2. 28 July: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ftVW-YtPA <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ftVW-YtPA>
DIY Washi Tape
Crafty.Moira

3. 28 Sep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uhajf2yku4 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uhajf2yku4>
How to: Make your own Washi Tape/Paper Tape!
Kat Scrappiness

4. 21 Nov: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbafFZOQu44 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbafFZOQu44>
How to Make Washi Tape
BFranklinCrafts

Something must have happened around the 2009 to start this craze, perhaps involving scrapbooking. Here are some earlier citations for “Japanese masking tape."

5. Mar 2009: http://www.i-do-it-yourself.com/2009/03/pretty-sticky-finds/ <http://www.i-do-it-yourself.com/2009/03/pretty-sticky-finds/>
Pretty Sticky Finds
by Luzel

###
I’ve been coveting these Japanese masking tapes ever since I saw them at Oh Happy Day!
####
####

6. 20 Jul 2009: http://jollygoo.blogspot.com/2009/07/japanese-masking-tape.html <http://jollygoo.blogspot.com/2009/07/japanese-masking-tape.html>
Japanese Masking Tape
by hiki

###
AND NOW YOU CAN BUY SOME MASKING TAPES FROM MY SHOP!!!! yay! I've been working on this online shop to sell Japanese goodies for some time now, it's still a bit wonky but will try to make it better so please pay a visit if you have time.
####
####

7.The registration for JapaneseMaskingTape.com <http://japanesemaskingtape.com/> was made on 26 Aug 2009 (https://who.is/whois/japanesemaskingtape.com <https://who.is/whois/japanesemaskingtape.com>), after Elizabeth’s post.

8. 12 Feb 2010: https://tinyurl.com/w2bwox9 <https://tinyurl.com/vo6d2hh>
Quiet Nights Online Art Journal Class

The webpage for "Polkadot Robot’s Quiet Nights Art Journal class” mentioned by Elizabeth is no longer on the web, but the Wayback Machine has snapshots:

###
We will even have a giveaway of some really cool stuff like Japanese masking tape, a Polka Dot Robot coffee cozy, and more.
####
####

Perhaps the well-known word “washi” was simply used to replace “Japanese masking,” yielding “washi tape."

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA