[Ads-l] Antedating of "Suffix"

Joe Salmons 000008f18d0e0c45-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sun Feb 2 17:06:28 UTC 2020

Are those examples of degrammaticalized affixes? Like, is anti-ism a prefixed form of the noun ism? Muriel Norde has a lot about these, as do other people.

In Menominee a couple of verb stems have allomorphs that are literally zero phonologically. Below are two inflected forms of a verb, thanks to Monica Macaulay, meaning 'to say so', one with a phonologically realized stem and then an allomorph without:

ena͞ew 's/he says so to him, her, it (animate)'
Stem: /aeN-/
Inflectional suffixes: -a͞ew

neta͞ekwah 's/he says so to me'
Prefix: net-
Stem: zero
Inflectional suffixes: /-Ekwah/ ([a͞ekwah])