[Ads-l] Mixed metaphor of the day

Benjamin M Brainard brainard at UGA.EDU
Mon Feb 3 16:16:27 UTC 2020

Unless they were just very excited to be there...

...ben

--
Benjamin Brainard VMD, Dipl ACVAA, ACVECC
Edward H Gunst Professor of Small Animal Critical Care

On 2/3/20, 11:15 AM, "American Dialect Society on behalf of Laurence Horn" <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU on behalf of laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:

    [External Sender]

    > On Feb 3, 2020, at 10:59 AM, Marc Sacks <msacksg at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
    >
    > Headline on the front page of today's New York Times: "Democrats Pitched a
    > Huge Tent In Iowa, and It's a Hive of Angst."  This stung me when I read
    > it, but so far it hasn't generated much buzz. Maybe I can canvas some
    > people for comments.
    >
    > Marc Sack

    Among other issues, apparently neither headline writer nor editor ran that first metaphor by urban dictionary.  Talk about angst hives!

    LH