[Ads-l] Nones (2005)

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 3 20:32:05 UTC 2020

One example from September 2003.

A widely published article used it in late-November 2003, the earliest
on November 27 in Honolulu, many others on the 29th and the following
week.

A flurry of additional examples apparently spawned by that article
shortly thereafter.

The earliest example, from a Texas newspaper, written by a local writer,
quotes an associate professor of Sociology from Southern Oregon
University named Mark Shibley.

Column: Faith at Work, Robin Galiano (rgaliano at longview-news.com),
"Pioneer spirit affects religion in Pacific Northwest"

[Excerpt] Seattle is home to Zen Jews and Buddhist Christians.  There
are post-denominational evangelicals.  And there are a lot of "nones,"
people who are unaffiliated with any tradition at all.

Yet most religious "nones" still have spiritual inclinations, said Mark
Shibley, associate professor of sociology at Southern Oregon University.
[End Excerpt]

Longview News-Journal (Longview, Texas), September 13, 2003, page 25.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/43551082/longview_newsjournal/

In the later, widely published article, Mark O'Keefe of the Newhouse
News Services also quotes Shibley.

"'Nones' are fastest-growing religious group in America," by Mark
O'Keefe, Newhouse News Service [(other examples of the same article use
different titles)].

[Excerpt]Their numbers have more than doubled in a decade, to nearly 30
million.  Organized as religious denomination, they would trail only
Catholics and Baptists in members.

They are the "nones," named for their response to a question in public
opinion polls: "What is your religion, if any?" . . .

Nones are especially prevalent in the Pacific Northwest, in Oregon and
Washington . . . "If people are interested in hiking on Sunday morning
rather than going to church, that's fine.  The culture won't say that's
unacceptable.  In fact, the culture will say that's perfectly
acceptable," said Mark Shibley, a sociologist at Southern Oregon
University who has studied about nones.[End excerpt]

Honolulu Star-Bulletin, November 27, 2003, page E3.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/43550869/honolulu_starbulletin/