[Ads-l] Nones (2005)

Mon Feb 3 20:46:18 UTC 2020

Here is a 1970 citation. The list of religious options apparently was
not exhaustive; hence, the 'nones' category may have include some
followers of religion. The text is ambiguous (to me). Did "none" mean
"no religion" or "none of the options listed". The headline used the
word "religionless".

Date: October 25, 1970
Newspaper: Los Angeles Times
Newspaper Location:
Article: Study Gives Profile of Religionless Americans
Author: John Dart (Times Religion Writer)
Quote Page A8, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt - please double check for errors]
The roughly 2% of persons who have declined in six national Gallup,
polls to identify themselves as Protestant, Catholic or Jew were
studied by two University of Georgia researchers who said the
"religious 'nones' has been a neglected category of study."
. . .
"The 'nones' were also more likely to be male (70%) and to fall in the
20- to 29-year-old category." they added
[End excerpt]

Garson