[Ads-l] Nones (2005)

Wed Feb 5 23:37:43 UTC 2020

Nice citations. You might want to take a look at the following JSTOR
article. The authors indicate that the "nones" category existed in
surveys about religious affiliation performed in 1957 and 1963. So
"nones" may have been used with the desired sense before Glenn M.
Vernon's mimeograph in 1967. On the other hand, Vernon may have
introduced this term.

Date: Winter 1985
Journal: Sociological Analysis
Volume 46, Number 4
Article: Religious "Nones": 1957 to 1982
Authors: John G. Condran, Joseph B. Tamney
Pages 415-423
Database: JSTOR

[Begin excerpt]
While in 1957 only 2.7 percent of the American population said they
had no religious preference (i.e., were "nones"), in 1982 the
percentage was 7.1 (see Table 1).
[End excerpt]

Here are three works from before 1967 that were listed in bibliography
(there are others). I do not know whether any of these works use
"nones".

Demerath III, N.J. 1965. Social Class in American Protestantism.
Chicago: Rand McNally.

Hoult, Thomas Ford. 1958. The Sociology of Religion. New York: Dryden.

Hudson, Winthrop S. 1965. Religion in America. New York: Charles
Scribner's Sons.

Garson