[Ads-l] Hep: Gerald Cohen's publication and the 7 earliest uses known to me

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 6 19:58:53 UTC 2020

> On Feb 6, 2020, at 2:37 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Gerald Cohen's may already have several examples of the following.
> In 1892 several newspapers printed a story that employed the
> dialectical spelling "get he'p" for "get help".
>
> Date: August 04, 1892
> Newspaper: Weekly Breeze (Monroeville Breeze)
> Newspaper Location: Monroeville, Indiana
> Article: His Change of Heart
> Quote Page 3, Column 2
> Database: Newspapers.com
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> Thar wasn't nobody in reach, so I couldn't get he'p. Jest 'fore he
> died he give me that money an' made me promise to take it to his
> father.
> [End excerpt]
>
> Garson

OK, but it’s still a fairly healthy leap from this compositional use, where he’p = help, to the one where “(get) hep” = ‘get wise’.  When Timmy told Lassie to get he(l)p, he wasn’t trying to make sure she was  with it or au courant.