[Ads-l] "parse out" = 'parcel out' (not in ecdb)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 14 19:14:01 UTC 2020

We know about parceling (or parcelling) out. The OED has, s.v. parcel, v.

transitive. To divide or distribute into parts, portions, or parcels. Usually with _out_.

And we know about parsing, especially given our professional responsibilities.  But do we know about parsing out?

From an article about which Houston Astros are accepting blame/responsibility (and how) for the banging-on-the-can sign-stealing scandal

No other Astros were as willing as Correa was to discuss details, and second baseman Jose Altuve declined a chance to parse out blame. Evidence suggests that he used stolen signs far less than his teammates, but Altuve shared the responsibility.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/sports/baseball/astros-cheating-apologies.html

Unsurprisingly, there are lots of earlier google hits for “parse out blame” or “parse out responsibility”, and it’s a natural enough eggcorn, but eggcorn it is.  At least for now.

LH