[Ads-l] "stanning" misapplied to fictional characters

Thu Jan 2 01:07:43 UTC 2020

Here is a tweet from 2009 showing a person stanning for a fictional
character. There is some ambiguity because the person might be
stanning for an entertainment franchise and not an individual
character.

https://twitter.com/DeeDarling/status/2502552811?s=20
Tweet timestamp: 4:29 PM · Jul 6, 2009
Tweet from: DeeDarling @DeeDarling
Tweet text: Maaaaan lissen I Stan for Harry Potter like I Stan for MC
Lyte & Redman....I ain't ashamed...WHAT!?

Here is a person in 2008 stanning for a consumer good.

https://twitter.com/dopegirlfresh/status/996582125
Tweet timestamp: 1:25 PM · Nov 8, 2008
Tweet from: make the strap say aye! @dopegirlfresh
Tweet text: @DeePhunk isn't it though?  i'm mad i don't have the money
to drop on that at the moment.  i stan for great leather bags.

Here is a person in 2008 stanning for a television series.

https://twitter.com/THEflyGIRL/status/1020243414
Tweet timestamp: 9:57 PM · Nov 23, 2008
Tweet from: FlyStyleLife.com @THEflyGIRL
Tweet text: @Obese Dude! I still remember when they sent over the
pilot tape. I was hooked! I STAN for Lost! **Packing lots of babyoil**

Garson