[Ads-l] On "Tar Heels" in general and North Carolinians as "Tar Heels"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 7 19:46:45 UTC 2020

Great work, Bonnie!

"Rosin-heel" would have appeared in HDAS III with the Mencken cite and a
few others - from Mississippi, Louisiana, and West Florida.

Here's the second earliest ex.:

1828 in  _Phenix Gazette_ (Alexandria, Va.) (Jan. 16, 1829) 2:
Natchez...I'll be d----d, shouted a raw-boned rosin heel, if your Mr. Adams
Rover an't laid as cold as a tater.

JL