[Ads-l] "A comic does funny things; a comedian does things funny"

Tue Jan 21 01:44:41 UTC 2020

Interesting question, Ben Y. Thanks for sharing excellent citations, Ben Z.

I came across a slightly earlier citation in 1959. After I found this
I noticed that it had very recently been clipped by Barry Popik.

An ex-vaudevillian named Robert Lemke was interviewed, and he (or the
interviewer) attributed the saying to Fred Allen.

Date: August 9, 1959
Newspaper: The Sunday Press
Newspaper Location: Binghamton, New York
Article: Rock 'n Roll 'Musically Horrid' Says Ex-2-a-Dayer
(Continuation title: Rock)
Author: Sunday Press Bureau
Start Page C1, Quote Page C2, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/42680198/say_funny_things_vs_say_things_funny/

[Begin excerpt]
Asked his views on humor, Mr. Lemke recalled words of the late Fred
Allen. "He said something like, "A good comedian can say things funny
and other guys just say funny things,"" Mr. Lemke said.
[End excerpt]

Garson