[Ads-l] rustic bread; porn

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 21 20:36:35 UTC 2020

A pamphlet called "Nutrition Action" published monthly by the Center for
Science in the Public Interest from at least as early as 1974 included a
regular feature called "Food Porn" from at least as early as 1980.

"Food Porn" in that context related to various types of unhealthful
foods.

Chicago Tribune, January 2, 1980, page 24.

[Excerpt]Nutritionists don't look kindly on candy anyway, so it is only
fitting that Nutrition Action should find a certain kind of grim
satisfaction in pointing out that it finally came across a shining
example of truth in advertising when it listed a creation called
"Garbage Candy" in its "Food Porn" section.  The goody, which comes
enclosed in a wee plastic garbage can, is shaped like - you guessed it -
little bits of garbage and assorted trash, such as old shoes, dog bones,
and various kinds of leftover food. Sounds good enough to throw
away.[End Excerpt]

"Food Porn" was used to refer to sensual depictions or descriptions of
food from as early as 1988.

"Find an Alternative Addiction," Tony Lang, Cincinnati Enquirer, March
31, 1988, page 15.

[Excerpt] I have friends who have sunk into shameless food addiction.
They are totally hooked on food porn like Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Food &
Wine. [End Excerpt].