[Ads-l] monkey in the middle (1952)

Alice Faber afaber at PANIX.COM
Mon Jan 27 18:11:31 UTC 2020

I remember both Monkey in the Middle and Keep-Away from my NYC suburb
late-50s early-60s playground experience. This may be my memory trying
to impose a rules-distinction to go with the lexical distinction, but,
in my hazy memory, Monkey in the Middle was more regimented and
Keep-Away was more freeform.

AF

On 1/27/20 12:04 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
> Never heard of "monkey in the middle," before. However, like Mark, I am
> unfortunately familiar with "keep-away" from my early grade-school years,
> During The War, ca.1943-1945.
> BTW, is monkey in the middle a variant of "man in the middle"?
>
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 12:52 AM Mark Mandel <markamandel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do not like the memories this brings up in me.
>>
>> I knew the expression all too well as a schoolboy in New York in the 1960s.
>> After school some of my classmates would play this "game" (also called
>> "keep-away") with my hat or other possession snatched from me, yelling
>> "Monkey in the middle!" as they threw my property to each other over my
>> head and I ran frantically between them, trying in vain to reach one of
>> them before they could throw it out of my reach.
>>
>> MAM
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 26, 2020, 6:08 PM Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The children's game "monkey in the middle" is in OED3 (Sept. 2002 update)
>>> from 1980. Here are some cites from New Jersey newspapers in the '50s.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> https://www.newspapers.com/clip/43065809/monkey_in_the_middle/
>>> Belleville (NJ) Times, July 24, 1952, p. 6, col. 6