[Ads-l] monkey in the middle (1952)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 27 18:22:00 UTC 2020

> On Jan 27, 2020, at 1:13 PM, Alice Faber <afaber at PANIX.COM> wrote:
>
> What you're calling "saluggi" is, I think, what we in the far-north Bronx (i.e., central Westchester) called "keep-away".
>
> AF

So there are isoglosses.  We used “keep away” too, but again, there was this sharp contrast

Let’s play keep away; I’ll be it.
Let’s play saluggi; I’ll be it.

The former game ended when the kids got tiring of playing it or when the “it” caught the object in question.  The latter “game” ended when the “it” broke down in tears.

LH