[Ads-l] "wicked" (adv.) = 'extremely' (Maine, 1934)

Wed Jan 29 17:59:09 UTC 2020

I lived in Maine -- taught at Gorham State Teachers College (as it was
then), near Portland -- in the mid 1960.  Several of my students indicated
amused awareness of "wicked good" as a typical Maine expression.  One
mentioned a musical group called the Wicked Good Band.  I find that that
group is still together.  On their website I find
The State-O-Maine is celebrating its 200th birthday. AND we've been
annoying audiences for more than 1/4 of that time! We've even written the
official unofficial anthem of the great Vacationland!
We have a few openings for gigs in our busy 2020 schedule...Give us a try.
We're not as bad as you might remember.
Regrettably, one-quarter 200 years is 50 years, and the mid-1960s is more
than 50 years ago.  How did that happen?

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851