[Ads-l] Antedating of "Politically Correct" (Communist Usage)

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Jul 5 19:38:21 UTC 2020

The OED's earliest usage of the phrase "politically correct," discovered by me, is dated 1793.  The OED's definition does not focus on the second phase of "politically correct," the non-satirical Communist usage, against which the third phase of "politically correct" (satirical use by conservatives) was a reaction.  In their citations they do include a 1934 cite from a Communist context.  I would suggest that the OED definition should add a sub-sense for Communist usage.  Here is the earliest I have found for that sub-sense:

1926 _Daily Worker_ 20 July 4/6 (ProQuest)  It was not an accident but a fairly legitimate and politically correct step of the British Communist Party to issue the slogan: "All power to the general council of the trade unions."

Fred Shapiro