[Ads-l] Antedating of "Politically Correct" (Communist Usage)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 5 19:58:22 UTC 2020

Larry's memory is supported by Deborah Cameron's book _Verbal Hygiene_,
which details the intervening phase of self-satirical use by those on the
left (though this phase is often forgotten about). Relevant excerpts from
Ch. 4:

"[S]ome writers have made attempts to pin down the origins and early uses
of the terms 'politically correct' and 'politically incorrect' among
American New Left activists in the 1960s and 1970s.  According to Ruth
Perry, the source from which these groups adopted the phrase was probably
the English translation of Mao's _Little Red Book_. Alternatively, Barbara
Epstein has suggested a connection with 'correct lineism', a term used in
the Communist Party...
"The most common use of 'politically correct' [early on] was *ironic* -- to
quote Maurice Isserman, 'it was always used in a tone mocking the pieties
of our own insular political counterculture, as in "we could stop at
McDonald's down the road if you're hungry-- but it wouldn't be *politically
correct*"'...
"['PC'] functioned on one hand to differentiate the New Left from the
orthodox Marxism it had rejected, and on the other to satirize the group's
own tendency towards humourlessness, self-righteousness and rigid orthodox
'party lines', poking fun at the notion that anyone could be (or would want
to be) wholly 'correct'". (pp. 126-7)

--bgz