[Ads-l] "which" conj.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 9 15:30:38 UTC 2020

Joan Hall gently reminds me that I should have referenced the (generous) DARE entries on the above, which I had looked at some time ago but then forgotten.  The notation is “chiefly South, South Midland” and there are a plethora of 19th-21st c. cites, sampled here, for both conjunctive “which” with resumptive pronoun—

1851 Burke Polly Peablossom 100 GA, You know how I fit for you, in that last run you had ’long er Jim Smith, what like to a beat you for sheriff, which he would a done it, if it hadn’t been for yer Uncle Josey’s influence.

2003 DARE File swNC [Black], Most people—Which I guess they was much healthier than we are now, . . they would walk.

and without--

1859 Taliaferro Fisher’s R. 59 nwNC (as of 1820s), I ’riv on the spot in the cool uv the evening’, which it were mighty hot weather.

2001 DARE File NM, When I lived over on A street last winter which I can see the house from here.

LH