[Ads-l] Some early British uses of "irregardless" (1847-1861)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 9 16:09:51 UTC 2020

Thanks very much for this, Bonnie.  I've long been interested in redundant
forms like "irregardless" (cf. Ger. "unzweifellos" lit. 'undoubtless'), and
I wonder whether, given the evidence for 19th c. occurrences, this might be
linked to the redundant unXless forms attested in the 16th-17th c.,
although that's still a significant gap in attestations.  Here's the OED on
those forms, s.v. un- 1:

 *10. * Redundant uses.
  *a. * Prefixed to adjectives ending in *-less*, redundantly or with
emphatic force. Formations of this type are attested in Middle English (see
unreckless adj. 1 <https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/62363630#eid1221651840>,
unroless adj. <https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/62367441#eid1221654530>,
unwitless adj. <https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/62392007#eid1221711580>,
unguiltless adj. <https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/213978#eid16769262>); in
such instances, *un-* may perhaps originally have had pejorative rather
than negative force (cf. sense 6b
<https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/208915#eid17123349>). They are most common
in the 16th and 17th centuries, by which time the pejorative sense of *un-*
had otherwise largely passed out of use.
1543   G. Joye *Our Sauiour Iesus Christ hath not ouercharged his Chirche*
sig. C.iiiv   These contumate stifnecked vnshamelesse criminouse synners.
1598   B. Yong tr. A. Pérez *2nd Pt. Diana* in tr. J. de Montemayor *Diana*
235   Wofull man vncomfortlesse, and sad.
1634   A. Cowley *Elegy on Mr. R. Clarke* 10   His mellifluous breath Could
not at all charme unremorselesse Death.
1667   J. Janeway *Heaven upon Earth* 20   As a small drop in the
unfathomless depths of his Love.
1787   J. Burgoyne *Heiress* (ed. 6) v. i. 62   Your knowledge..is as
unquestionless [*earlier eds.* questionless] as your integrity.
1903   *Coast* Nov. 167/2   She hears the wild, unmatchless mirth Of
singing birds In fluttering herds.
2010   *Sun* (Nexis) 14 Sept. 11   The Southampton fans are getting
unrestless.

And of course there are also redundant un-verbs, which I've written about
in a few papers:  unloose(n), unthaw, unravel, unrip, unstring...  (Not to
mention Ameila Bedelia's "undust the furniture".)

LH