[Ads-l] /hw/ vs. /w/ (was: Re: which)

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Fri Jul 10 02:10:11 UTC 2020

It was certainly sung [hw] by the original cast.

----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of James E. Clapp <j.clapp at EARTHLINK.NET>
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 9:19 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: /hw/ vs. /w/ (was: Re: which)

I grew up with--and never lost--a distinction between 'why' /hway/ (interrogative) and 'why' /wye/ (interjection).

Hence: "Wye, no!  Hway would you think that?"

Or simply:  "Wye, hway would you think that?"

Is this just my mother's (and now my) idiolect, or was that once a common distinction?

Parenthetically, I'll bet Betty Comden and Adolph Green, the lyricists for "Wonderful Town" (1953) (music by Leonard Bernstein), would have been dismayed to hear their line "Why oh why oh why oh, why did I ever leave Ohio?" without the /h/ sounds that make the alliteration with oHIo work.

James Clapp