[Ads-l] Ever pondered this question?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 16 00:40:52 UTC 2020

I think it’s important in this discussion to distinguish “a few”, which is essentially a positive quantifier, from “few”, which is negative.  This is also true of the corresponding mass quantifiers “a little” (positive) vs. “little” (negative), and counterparts in French, “un peu” (positive) vs. “peu” (negative).  Linguists have written extensively about these words (Oswald Ducrot on the French ones, everyone from Dwight Bolinger to me on the English ones), citing considerable evidence for this distinction.  Consider, for example:

Few if any
Few or none
*A few if any
*A few or none

You’re going to have a little difficulty with that, in face you may have a lot of difficulty/*no difficulty at all
You’re going to have little difficulty with that, in face you may no difficulty at all/*a lot of difficulty

Few economists have ever pondered this question.
*A few economists have ever pondered this question.

The psychologists Linda Moxey and Sanford wrote a number of papers and a book supporting the psychological reality of these distinctions.

It’s “a few” that’s a fairly close paraphrase of “several”, not the negative “few”:

*Several economists have ever pondered this question.

Unfortunately there were a few/several errors in the manuscript.
??Unfortunately there were a few/several errors in the manuscript.

LH