[Ads-l] Analysis of ~ool (as in "wool") for word endings

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 23 17:38:14 UTC 2020

Since we were discussing ~ool (as in "wool") applying to the pronunciation of the word "children" ~chooldrin (which I hear often especially from teachers), I looked at thetruespel  5k word frequency database for words ending in ~ool.

My data show that this "short oo" vowel is present in many word endings (about) 2% of words in text, but unfortunately expressed as schwa in many dictionaries.  This is not good for teaching pronunciation.  Truespel replaces all schwas with actual vowels from voicings of talking American English dictionaries.  See ~ool word endings analysis here.   https://justpaste.it/oolending

Tom Zurinskas,  Originally from SW Conn 20 yrs,  college NE Tenn 3,  work SE NJ  33,  resides SE Florida 18...  truespel.com