[Ads-l] hot dog, and its insight for the Spanish food term duelos y quebrantos

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sat Jul 25 16:04:42 UTC 2020

For those interested in food terminology:

I co-authored a book _Origin Of The Term Hot Dog_ with Barry Popik

and the late David Shulman (2004) and have recently put online an

article I wrote which is an offshoot of that research.

The article title is:

Spanish food duelos y quebrantos (sorrows  and breakings) in light of

hot dog. Comments on Etymology, December  2019, 49(3), pp. 5-8.

The link is

https://scholarsmine.mst.edu/artlan_phil_facwork/161

The gist of the article is that the unappetizing origin of  the term hot dog

provides an obvious solution to the etymology of duelos y quebrantos.

The original reference of the Spanish food must have been to a whopping

stomach ache.

Gerald Cohen