[Ads-l] Cancel Culture

Sat Aug 1 02:26:29 UTC 2020

Bill Mullins wrote:
> Earlier in Twitter -- Oct 28, 2016:
>
> https://twitter.com/unicorninkk/status/792025338616418304
> "I hate cancel culture until I want to set things on fire! "

Worthwhile topic, Fred. Great citation, Bill.
I initiated a germane thread back in May 2019.

[Ads-l] Word/Phrase: cancel, cancel culture, cancellation culture
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2019-May/154643.html

The mailing list message included some tweets with the phrase: "You
have been cancelled". The precise meaning was not always clear. The
tweet citations begin on Nov 22 2008.

Dave Wilton initiated a pertinent thread in February 2020.

[Ads-l] Cancel culture, cancel (2018)
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2020-February/156597.html

John Baker mentioned the Mashable.com article dated Nov 18, 2017 which
was referenced in a tweet.
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2020-February/156598.html

Dave Wilton presented a tweet together with a reply tweet that
exhibited the desired sense on Feb 8, 2017.
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2020-February/156599.html
https://twitter.com/DougieFresh818/status/829410105502400513
https://twitter.com/chazzsplash/status/829410413091631105

The tweet found by Bill Mullins appears to be the earliest currently
mentioned on this mailing list.

Garson