[Ads-l] Antedating of "Emmy"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 2 23:59:45 UTC 2020

Since the origins of "Oscar" and "Hugo" have been discussed on this list, I thought I should look into "Emmy."  See below for an antedating.

Emmy (OED 1949)
1948 _Billboard_ 4 Dec. 12/3 (ProQuest)  First video film competition to be sponsored locally will be backed by the Coast's Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (ATAS). Winner of "the best film made for television" will be awarded an Emmy statuette, patterned after the famed Oscar, Motion Picture Academy award.

Fred Shapiro