[Ads-l] boi

Stanton McCandlish smccandlish at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 11 00:33:54 UTC 2020

*Boi* has been frequent in the expression *fanboi* since at least the early
2000s, and seems to be an Engrish coinage via the otaku route.  The female
equivalent seems to be *gyaru* ('girl'), but doesn't have much currency,
probably owing to its comparative awkwardness.  It's weird to see *boi* get
picked up by a probably racist group of "militia" types.

--
Stanton McCandlish
McCandlish Consulting

+1 415 234 3992

https://www.linkedin.com/in/SMcCandlish

"The capacity to produce social chaos is the last resort of desperate
people."
—Cornel West, author and philosopher (1953–)
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
—Isaac Asimov, biochemist and science-fiction writer (1920–1992)