[Ads-l] official, adj.

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 12 17:59:57 UTC 2020

I recently posted a piece about the origins and background of Juneteenth
on my blog.
https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2020/05/general-weitzel-and-his-elephant.html

It was not, as is frequently characterized (as in the link Jonathan
Lighter shared), the day "that the state’s residents finally learned
that slavery had been abolished," or the day they learned about the end
of the Civil War, as sometimes characterized.

It was the day the United States Army established military control in
Galveston, Texas and surrounding area.  Establishing military control
effectively abolished slavery where it had only been proclaimed before,
and left unenforced by the local, Confederate government.  The fact of
the proclamation and the end of the war had been publicized in Texas
long before they entered the city.  Telegraph communications had been
down, so news was generally delayed in reaching Galveston, but most news
from the East got down there within days or a couple weeks at the most.

Interestingly, and not mentioned in most commentary about Juneteenth, is
that a significant number of the occupying Union forces were black
soldiers, many of them having been slaves themselves.

I was drawn to the story initially through looking into the history of
the expression, "white elephant," which I posted several years ago.
"White Elephant," it turns out, was actually a misnomer, blending
familiarity with the white elephants kept by kings in Southeast Asia
with a much older expression, "the man who won an elephant in the
raffle."

https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2014/06/two-and-half-idioms-history-and.html

https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-gift-of-nabob-regular-old-elephant.html

In looking into that, I ran across an old political cartoon from the
Civil War which has been described as one of the "most racist" political
cartoons ever published.  The cartoon shows a large elephant with the
face of a black man, ridden by a Union army officer.  Another Union
officer stands in front of the elephant questioningly, and he is
described as being like the man who won an elephant in the raffle.

I interpret the cartoon as a visual pun on the idiom, not as portraying
the black man as an elephant.  The idiom was, in fact, used in numerous
other, non-racial contexts during the Civil War, whenever someone
captured a position, or a ship, or something of value that was difficult
to defend, unmanageable, or otherwise difficult to manage.

In the case of General Weitzel, he was faced with hosting thousands of
refugees from plantations in Louisiana as he marched through the region
on some military mission.  In the end, he helped establish and enforce
the first paid labor scheme for former slaves in Louisiana - even before
the Emancipation Proclamation went into effect.

It ties into Juneteenth, because Weitzel later commanded a black
regiment, and he and his soldiers were in Richmond with Lincoln and at
Antietam, before being shipped to Texas where they were present in
Galveston on Juneteenth (although some of them may have still been
onboard their transports until the next day due to tides or something).

https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2020/05/general-weitzel-and-his-elephant.html