[Ads-l] Donald J. Trump Quotes from 2019-2020

James Landau 00000c13e57d49b8-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Tue Jun 16 13:25:09 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 4:49 PM Zone + ?  Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:

>, I concede that Bill's point may be a valid one, that
> the Trumpisms and other wacky discourse of our times may be out of place in
> my book and may detract from its tone.

Mr. Shapiro and I disagree on everything else, so I will continue the trend.
Trumpisms (OED candidate?) can be divided into 2 categories:
1. ephemeral
2. histrorically significant, in that they lead to government actions, sizable public actions (e.g. hydroxyquinoline), etc.  These should be considered for the YBQ.

Sometimes it may take a while to decide the category for a given Trumpism.  For example, from the online Forward newspaper:
https://forward.com/fast-forward/448576/twitter-ss-secret-service/

On Thursday June 11 Trumped tweeted "<snip> The protesters, agitators, anarchists (ANTIFA) [sic], and others, were handled VERY easily by the [National] Guard, D>C> Police, & S.S."

The correct abbreviation for the Secret Service is "USSS".  "S.S."  is the well-known abbreviation for the Nazi Schutzstaffel.  It is too early to tell if this usage by Trump will prove ephemeral or will lead to one more public scandal.

James Landau
jjjrlandau at netscape.com