[Ads-l] News: Four commercial publishers are suing the Internet Archive

Tue Jun 16 20:28:21 UTC 2020

Brewster Kahle who founded the Internet Archive stated in an article
dated June 1, 2020 that the Archive is now being sued by four major
publishers. He posted a comment dated June 2 identifying the companies
as: Hachette Book Group, Inc., Harpercollins Publishers LLC, John
Wiley & Sons, Inc., and Penguin Random House LLC. The closing date of
the Temporary National Emergency Library has been moved to June 16th.

Article: Four commercial publishers filed a complaint about the
Internet Archive’s lending of digitized books
Posted on June 1, 2020 by Brewster Kahle
http://blog.archive.org/2020/06/01/four-commercial-publishers-filed-a-complaint-about-the-internet-archives-lending-of-digitized-books/
[Begin excerpt]
This morning, we were disappointed to read that four commercial
publishers are suing the Internet Archive.
[End excerpt]

Article: Temporary National Emergency Library to close 2 weeks early,
returning to traditional controlled digital lending
https://blog.archive.org/2020/06/10/temporary-national-emergency-library-to-close-2-weeks-early-returning-to-traditional-controlled-digital-lending/
[Begin excerpt]
Today we are announcing the National Emergency Library will close on
June 16th, rather than June 30th, returning to traditional controlled
digital lending. We have learned that the vast majority of people use
digitized books on the Internet Archive for a very short time.
[End excerpt]