[Ads-l] How to say "figure"

Stanton McCandlish smccandlish at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 27 16:25:00 UTC 2020

"Figyer" as American is actually an over-generalization; lots of us say
"figger", especially in expressions like "figure it out" (I do, though I
use "figyur" in other senses, like "figure drawing").  The British one is
more like "figguh", at least in most (non-rhotic) dialects.

Stanton McCandlish
McCandlish Consulting
5400 Foothill Blvd Suite B
Oakland CA 94601-5516

+1 415 234 3992


"The capacity to produce social chaos is the last resort of desperate
—Cornel West, author and philosopher (1953–)
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
—Isaac Asimov, biochemist and science-fiction writer (1920–1992)

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 1:13 PM Tom Zurinskas <truespel at hotmail.com> wrote:

> thefreedictionary has "figure" for USA as ~figyer and UK as ~figer
> (figger)'  I've been hearing ~figer lately and couldn't~ figyer out why.
> New to me.
> Tom Zurinskas,  Originally from SW Conn 20 yrs,  college NE Tenn 3,  work
> SE NJ  33,  resides SE FL 17... Get free ~truespel phonetics converter and
> tutorials at - http://truespel.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list