[Ads-l] Capsule ['k æpʃʲʊl]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 30 04:25:00 UTC 2020

Had an Australian girlfriend who said "shoopa, capshool, equayshun" as
though such strange pronunciations were completely normal. She once took me
gently to task for mispronouncing a name as "F[aw]ster," saying that the
proper pronunciation was "F[aw]sta." Enlightenment came when she explained
that the name was spelled f-o-AH-s-t-e-ah rand not as f-o-s-t-e-ah.
"FoRster," not "Foster," for those with an r-ful - as was used in my lost
youth; the language isn't always dumbed down - lect.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:05 PM Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> Not always:  those who have antepenultimate stress on “insurance” still
> palatalize the /s/. And “tonsure”, which is not a compound of “sure”, also
> palatalizes.
>

> > On Jun 29, 2020, at 9:55 PM, Mark Mandel <markamandel at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> >
> > Well, of course we have *sure* /ʃʊr/ and its compounds, but that syllable
> > is always stressed.
> > Mark

> it,

> >> Haven’t heard it myself and it’s not listed among the OED’s recorded
> >> variants, but it does make a kind of sense, since we get palatalization
> of
> >> /sju/ before /r/—sure we do—and “capsule” isn’t structurally that
> different
> >> from, say, “capture”, so why not before /l/?  And -tule palatalizes as
> well
> >> as in “pustule” (memorably eggcornicized as “pus jewel”, as some will
> >> recall). Are there other words ending in -sule?  I don’t seem to have a
> >> backward dictionary on me.  Palatalization in “consul” seems less
> likely,
> >> but how about “consulate”?  I’ll ask my Australian colleague next
> chance I
> >> get.  Null hypothesis is that it’s a one-off spelling pronunciation.
> >>
> >> LH

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain