[Ads-l] "Dixon's land" & "Dixey's line"

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Tue Jun 30 12:21:32 UTC 2020

Though a double typo may be possible (especially if one brackets off pre-1859 game names), in context the 1835 article with "Dixon's land" contrasted a reported case in New Bedford with a hypothetical case, as I read it, in the southern US.

Jonathan, you wrote of D. Emmett "and Dixon's Line and Dixey's land were probably in his mind" [when song-writing]. If so, then might one possibility be that some pre-1859 game-namers were also influenced in Dixey's [and/or variant spellings] land uses, also influenced by knowing of Dixon's Line?

After all, as of HDAS, the games were not yet (fully?) "substantiated."

Stephen G.
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <...> on behalf of Jonathan Lighter <...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 7:29 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <...>
Subject: Re: "Dixon's land" & "Dixey's line"

Any ref. to "Dixie" after 1860 is likely to be influenced by the name of
the song.

What does the 1835 "south of Mason and Dixon's land" refer to? Latin
America?  Virginia (immediately south of Maryland?  Neither seems likely.
Does the phrase appear elsewhere before "Dixie"?  My guess is that "land"
is just a slip for "line." Is there reason to think otherwise?

The sudden explosion of "Dixie" references (and dearth of "Dixie's [sic]
lands") after the song suggests that both were novelties.  In the lyrics,
"Dixie land" is clearly more euphonious than "Dixie's land."

Whatever the psychology behind Emmett's choice of these words (and Dixon's
Line and Dixey's land were probably in his mind) decades of research - most
recently including vast newspaper databases - fails to turn up any
pre-Emmett proof, or even strong evidence, that anyone referred to the
South as "Dixie" before Daniel Emmett.

Or has it?

PS: Absence of evidence, after a meticulous search, is strong evidence of
absence - though not proof beyond doubt.

JL