[Ads-l] "whisperlow"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 4 23:48:04 UTC 2020

>From the HDAS files:

1929 _Vanity Fair_ (Nov.) 139: A speakeasy is a "whisper-low," a "hush
house," or a "_sotto voce_ parlor."

Cf.

1930 Jack Lait _Put On the Spot_  (N.Y.: Grosset & Dunlap) 214: Whisper
(n.) Speakeasy.

Jack Lait (1883 -1954) was editor for King Features and later of the
tabloid N.Y. Daily Mirror. He also wrote several underworld novels.

JL (the other one)