[Ads-l] hill to die on

Sun Mar 8 18:39:19 UTC 2020

Ben requested citations illuminating the phrase "hill to die on".
While exploring this topic I became interested in the underlying
semantic notion of a hill depicted as an unimportant or arbitrary
military objective. The reaction elicited by this scenario is
intensified when numerous casualties occur during the battle for the
unimportant hill. The anguish is further heightened when the
conquerors of the hill unceremoniously relinquish it.

In 1938 the phrase "a worthless hill In Asia" was employed while
describing battles over an inconsequential military objective.

Date: August 11, 1938
Newspaper: Bergen Evening Record
Newspaper Location: Hackensack, New Jersey
Article: Guessing
Quote Page 26, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
It has been nearly a month since Soviet and Japanese troops began
fighting over possession of a worthless hill In Asia, and still the
world knows virtually nothing but what the foreign offices of the
involved powers choose to announce.
[End excerpt]

In 1943 a columnist discussed Lt. Gen. George S. Patton's ability to
motivate soldiers to "die taking a hill".