[Ads-l] skinback

Fri Mar 13 18:28:05 UTC 2020

I was unable to find an entry for skinback or skin-back in the OED.

There are 13,263 matches for skinback in newspapers.com with a variety
of meanings which makes finding germane matches a hassle.

To start the process, here is a 1968 citation illustrating the
pertinent sense of skin-back in the journalism domain. The article
refers back to an episode in 1948 when many observers believed that
Thomas E. Dewey was about to defeat Harry S. Truman in a presidential
election.

Further below is a 1962 citation that seems to be pertinent.

Date: June 5, 1968
Newspaper: San Francisco Examiner
Newspaper Location: San Francisco, California
Article: Fearsome Forecasting
Author: Guy Wright
Quote Page 35, Column 2
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Marquis Childs, I remember, wrote a masterful analysis of the
consequences of Dewey's triumph on politics, the nation and the world.
It was a shame that such a classic should be shunted to the
wastebasket by the mere technicality that Dewey had lost.

While I sat there wondering what to do with this mess, the bell on the
teletype began to ring like a burglar alarm. Normally that's the
signal of impending news of great urgency -- a baseball score, a
Hollywood divorce or at least a war.

NOW IT ALERTED me to the frantic kill orders that began to pour out of
the teletype in hot pursuit of the errant columns.

Some papers printed them anyway, as a joke or a perverse confessional.
And so many columnists had to write skin-back followups that the
expression "to eat crow" was resurrected.
[End excerpt]