[Ads-l] organically

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 14 22:53:17 UTC 2020

"To social-distance" is a certainly an innovative backformation, albeit a
predictable one given our current situation. Add it to Arnold Zwicky's list
of two-part back-formed (2-p b-f) verbs:

https://arnoldzwicky.org/2009/06/13/postings-on-2-p-b-f-verbs/

There's nothing innovative about "organically," however. OED3 has examples
of the relevant sense (5b: "in the course of natural development or
change") back to 1951, and the related sense of "organic" (6e:
"characterized by continuous or natural development") goes back to 1923.

--bgz