[Ads-l] Possible antedate to "pneumatic"

Tue Mar 17 20:30:36 UTC 2020

In 1902 "The House Beautiful" published an advertisement titled
"PNEUMATIC BUST FORMS" for a bra that could be inflated with breath.

Year: 1902
Journal: The House Beautiful
Volume 12
Section: Advertisements
Quote Page: Unnumbered Page
Publisher: Herbert S. Stone, Chicago, Illinois

https://books.google.com/books?id=HzguAAAAMAAJ&q=+pneumatic#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
H & H
PNEUMATIC BUST FORMS
"Nature's only rival; they mark the end of padding."

Eagerly welcomed by refined women of society and the stage in of and
America. Positively a revelation. Inflated by a breath, adjusted
instantly, with or without corsets, take any and every shape, conform
to every position and movement.
[End excerpt]

In 1905 an Illinois newspaper printed a passage about "the female
figure". Many different types of figures were listed including "a
broad-gauge pneumatic girl". The newspaper acknowledged a periodical
called "Exchange".