[Ads-l] "so crazy it might just work"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 27 00:58:54 UTC 2020

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 4:49 PM Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> How far back does "crazy like a fox" go?  Seems at least distantly
> related.

OED2 has "crazy as a fox" from 1935 and "crazy like a fox" from 1944, but
that's easy to antedate.

---
Chicago Inter Ocean, Dec. 1, 1895, p. 10, col. 5
"Jack, you handicap him to an ounce," Bud remarked to the learned sport.
"Yet he must be crazy to take the chances he does with Captain T."
"Humph!" grunted De Boots, "crazy like a fox, he is."
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47420119/crazy-like-a-fox/
---

Not sure if this early "crazy as a fox" has the same meaning.

---
Detroit Free Press, Mar. 3, 1876, p. 3, col. 2
"Woman, are you mad?" asked the man.
"If she hain't done gone crazy as a fox, den I never seed a 'possum!" put
in the barber.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47419631/crazy-as-a-fox/
---