[Ads-l] Ghost Town

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sun May 3 20:02:15 UTC 2020

I saw that quote, and did not use it because I wasn't sure if it meant "deserted town", as we use the phrase "ghost town", or a town literally associated with ghosts (and I did find several examples of "ghost town" where it was clear that "association with ghosts" was the intended meaning).
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 2:58 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Ghost Town

----

The citation below from 1894 contains the phrase "all that remains of
the ghost town". Interestingly, the phrase "ghost town" has more than
one interpretation. Spiritualists attempted to found a town, but their
enterprise did not succeed. The remnant was called "Spookville", and
the journalist also referred to it as a "ghost town".