[Ads-l] Wham, bam, thank you, ma'am

Sat May 9 23:33:51 UTC 2020

Thanks to Benjamin Barrett for initiating this thread, and thanks to
Stanton McCandlish and Andy Bach for their valuable comments.

In a previous message I wrote "THANK YOU MAM!" in the July 2, 1941
citation. That was deliberate. It was not a typo. Nevertheless, I did
notice another anomaly in a previous message that did reflect a typo.
I wrote "Thanks you" instead of "Thank you" in a 1950 song title.
Apologies. Please double check all my citations before using them in
any other work.

Green’s Dictionary of Slang has two pertinent entries for:
"wham-bam-thank-you-ma’am" and "wham bam!".

Green's 1940 citation below is bracketed, and the first non-bracketed
citation for the sexual sense appeared in Gershon Legman's famous
compilation. Legman assigned the year 1942 to the instance.
https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/7l66afq

[Begin excerpt]
wham-bam-thank-you-ma’am phr.
also gangbang, thank you ma’am; ram, bam, thank you ma’am;
slam-bam-thank-you-ma’am; whambam; wham-blam-thank-you-ma’am;
wham-wham-wham
[echoic]

[1940 [US] Paul Whiteman [instrumental title] Wham, wham, re, bop, boom, bam].
1942 [US]   joke cited in G. Legman Rationale of the Dirty Joke (1972)
I 199: A little rabbit whose method with his girlfriends is ‘Wham bam,
thank you, Mam.’.
[End excerpt]

Green's also has a germane entry for the foundational phrase "wham
bam!". Green notes the connection to boxing.
https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/nyw4lxi

[Begin excerpt]
wham bam! excl.
also wham bang!
(orig. US) used to express sudden or speedy movement; esp. of a boxer’s punches.
1910 Charlotte News (NC) 27 Mar. 18/1: [Bat nelson] always let them
work themselves out on his ribs [...] But when they were tired — wham!
bam! Curtains.
1926 [US]   Arizona Republican (Phoenix, AZ) 26 Aug. 6/6: [advert]
Wham-Bam! and another guy bit canvas.
[End excerpt]

In a previous message, I gave a September 30, 1941 citation in the
boxing domain for "bam-bam. Thank you mam, the fight was over." This
citation evinces a continuity with the simpler phrase "wham! bam!" It
is possible that the phrase under examination evolved in the boxing
domain and shifted to the sexual domain.

Garson