[Ads-l] "Ticked off"; was Re: Punchline: A thing up with which I will not put (July 31, 1941)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 19 18:41:07 UTC 2020

Actually there's a British military "tick off" (akin to "tell off", and
presumably alluding to marking a demerit) going back to WWI that I suspect
is the relevant one in the Sussex narrative. The OED describes this sense
as
*3c.* To reprimand or scold.
1915   W. Owen *Let.* 2 Nov. (1967) 365   He has been ‘ticked-off’ four or
five times for it; but is not yet shot at dawn.
and distinguishes it from the U.S. slang sense
*3d.* To annoy, anger; to dispirit. Cf. ticked adj.2 c
<https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/201737#eid18371816>. *U.S.* *slang*.
1975   *Washington Post* 19 Feb. c 12/7   We got hit somethin' fierce. It
really ticked me off! We lost everything!
Hopefully, the prepositional culprit "junior" wasn't scolded as severely as
the miscreant in the Wilfred Owen passage, or at least was also not shot at
dawn for it.

LH