[Ads-l] to give one the gears

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 25 14:39:16 UTC 2020

A. the gears = nonsense
The OED, Merriam-Webster (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gear <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gear>) and Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gear#English <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gear#English>) all have “gear” as nonsense. The OED and Wiktionary say the meaning is obsolete. None have the plural form.

1. https://tinyurl.com/y8ypwdd4 <https://tinyurl.com/y8ypwdd4>
The Hidden Queer History Behind “A League of Their Own”
Britni de la Cretaz
30 May 2018 (original publication date)

###
Hunter, who was from Winnipeg, Canada, said she had “never heard of lesbianism,” so her teammates regaled her with tales of lesbian love affairs. “They told me they had wedding ceremonies. Well, I just thought they were giving me the gears because I was a green Canadian.”
###
###

B. heckle, razz

2. https://tinyurl.com/yd5tk5uq <https://tinyurl.com/yd5tk5uq>
Why can’t I figure out absurdity?
Brian Horrobin

###
I persevered with this hopeless situation for a number of days until one day my wife shouted, “Who’s been using my scented conditioner bar?”

Gulp!

Conditioner bar?

Doesn’t that stuff come in bottles?

My daughters really gave me the gears when they found out I had been using it day after day trying to get some lather from it.

“Why didn’t you quit using it after you realized it wasn’t working?” my wife asked simply.
###
###

3. https://tinyurl.com/y7l2j6w9 <https://tinyurl.com/y7l2j6w9>
Genna Draper • Art

###
So my MOM gave me the gears for holding back, and not posting ALL the NEW work that’s kept me in the studio day and night.
###
###

4. https://tinyurl.com/y7jm5bq6 <https://tinyurl.com/y7jm5bq6>
Testimonials
Paula Watkins
[undated]

###
“Hi Theo, just wanted to say it was great to meet you and that your seminar was a HUGE SUCCESS! Everyone gave me the ‘gears’ because I asked you to wrap things up! They loved every minute of your presentation, and they’re wanting more!
###
###

5. https://tinyurl.com/ybswmwel <https://tinyurl.com/ybswmwel>
Weight and C: Brenden Morrow's story
Joe Smith, Times Staff Writer

###
"He gave me the gears about my weight. He walked me back into the gym, ripped off a piece of tape and put it on a bike, saying, 'You're riding this thing until the weight comes off.’
###
###

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA