[Ads-l] high-jacks, one negative result, 1915

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Nov 6 14:28:15 UTC 2020

In History of Labor in the United States, 1896-1932, vol. 4, Labor Movements, by Selig Perlman and Philip Talt (1935) 286-7:

A far more serious menace to the harvest hand’s earnings were the “high-jacks,” or hold-up men, bootleggers, and “tin-horn” gamblers [p. 387], who preyed on them while on the train and in the “jungles,” their resting places between jobs. [Footnote 4:

Ibid. {that is, Solidarity}, July 10, 1915]

For the record, I have received a scan of that Solidarity issue (no. 287, 4 pages). It does discuss this menace, but without, unless I missed it, the term "high-jacks," though that term is surely found in Wobbly reports later, and at least potentially earlier.

I don't know if anyone other than Jerry Cohen is on this case, but let me know if you'd like a pdf. Limited time offer. While supplies last, etc.

Stephen Goranson