[Ads-l] ADS Word of the Year is going virtual! (Dec. 17, 2020)

Alice Faber afaber at PANIX.COM
Tue Nov 17 22:32:03 UTC 2020

On 11/17/20 1:33 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
> For the first time ever, the American Dialect Society's Word of the Year
> proceedings will be held virtually this year! WOTY 2020 will be held one
> month from now, on Thursday, December 17, 2020, at 7 p.m. EST. It's a free
> event and all are invited to attend.
>
> The event will be held as a Zoom webinar, and you can register to
> participate here:
>
> https://word-of-the-year-2020.eventbrite.com
>
> You can also make up to five nominations when you register! Your
> nominations should be some or all of the following:
>
> * widely used,
> * new or newly popular,
> * significant to the happenings of 2020,
> * and/or indicative of public discourse and national preoccupations in 2020.
>
> Single words, phrases, compounds, catch phrases, hashtags, and other types
> of brief written or spoken communication are accepted as nominations.

I didn't see a spot for nominations, so here's mine:

"out of an abundance of caution". Every time a sports team canceled
workouts because of a positive COVID-19 test, it was "out of an
abundance of caution"

AF